Building Codes plays an integral role in maintaining the quality of construction in Greene County, assisting builders and the general public with the building codes and other regulations to the mutual benefit of both.
It is our mission to protect and serve the citizens of Greene County through the fair and ethical enforcement of adopted construction codes, zoning regulations, and construction safety standards. This is accomplished by an efficient administration, qualified professional staff, ongoing citizen and customer education efforts, and active enforcement on new and existing construction to include housing and property maintenance standards.
Greene County has adopted the 2006 Edition of the International Building Code and the 2006 Edition of the International Residential Code with Appendix J.
Required Permit Inspections
- Zoning Inspection – Setbacks, Zoning and Use. Property lines and structure must be staked with a minimum of 18″ stakes.
- Footer Inspection – After all steel reinforcement is in place.
- Slab Inspection – Plumbing must be in place prior to inspection.
- Rough-In Inspection – After all framing, plumbing, mechanical and electrical is roughed in.
- Energy Inspection – Insulation: Walls, floor and ceiling.
- Building Final Inspection – After structure is completed. 911 address must be permanently posted, plainly visible and legible from the street or road fronting the property
- Certificate of Occupancy – Will be issued after the final inspection is completed prior to occupancy.
***Other inspections may be required due to type of structure.***
Questions regarding permits or inspections need to be directed to the Building & Zoning Office from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday – Friday.
Electrical Permits are issued at the Greeneville Light & Power Office.
129 Charles Street, Suite 2
Greeneville, TN 37743